Saturday, April 16, 2011

Remembering Mommy on Her Birthday

April 17 is Mommy's birthday. All these years, we've looked forward to this day to honor her and thank her for everything she did for us. When I was younger, my brother and I would look forward to this day because we know she will cook OUR favorite dishes, she'll cook so much to last until dinner time for sure! She'll cook my favorite spaghetti, my brother's favorite afritada, and my dad's favorite mechado (cooked in her own unique way). Of course, there will be some fish and salad also to complete the meal. Her best friend would come early in the morning so that they can spend their breakfast together over their favorite cup of Batangas coffee. All through the day, her co-teachers would come to spend the day with her, her brothers, sisters, and our other relatives with their families would come too to greet her and just pay tribute to her just because she's been a supporter of theirs throughout the year. Her business colleagues would call or even come to spend even a little time to be with her. That's just how she was, she's affected so many people around her that they take this opportunity to say thank you and just make her day as happy as can be.

When I got older and had a job, I'd look forward to this day so that I can take Mommy out to lunch or dinner to a place of her choice. Usually, she'll still end up asking us where we wanted to go as we know all the "new" places in town. Even when I eventually moved to the States and had a family of my own, we looked forward to this day to send her flowers or goodies and she'll be so excited to receive and open our "padala" (gift). I know that the biggest gift I could've probably given her anyway were her grandchildren, so I would create albums with their pictures and activities all through the year. She loved receiving those, I know.

When Mommy passed on to a more serene life.... I was unsure of what to feel when her birthday came.... Now that it's only a few days before that, I would like to think of the little things that I would have shared with her if she were here with us. I know she'll be happy to know that her grandkids are doing an excellent job in school. Her son is now happily married and enjoying a new chapter in his life. She's smiling in heaven I know since my brother married someone who my mom has been praying for. She's very responsible and she takes care of brother pretty well. She's not worried since my dad is healthy and is still very active with church work. She'll be happy and content knowing that I have a wonderful husband who loves me and takes care of me and our family. Also, she'll be proud to know that I have a fulfilling and challenging career as well.

Lola Mommy would be so proud. Now all of these, I offer to you Mommy. As you look down upon us from the heavens, we greet you happy birthday! Lastly,we know you're happy there now knowing that Daddy is spending the best of his days with his grandchildren in the manner that you would've wanted to yourself. Happy birthday Mommy!

No comments: